Office: AIMM 327
Phone: (609) 771-2621
“Picturing rape and revenge in Ovid’s myth of Philomela,” in A. Poe and M. Rose, eds., Receptions of Antiquity, Constructions of Gender in European Art, 1300-1600 (E. J. Brill, in press)
“A Paternity Test for Michelangelo’s Doni Tondo,” Source: Notes in the History of Art, 30.1 (2010): 29-36
“Studies in the Renaissance Reception of Ancient Vault Decoration,” The Journal of the Warburg and Courtland Institutes, 67 (2004): 193-231
“The del Pozzo brothers’ collection of drawings of Roman mosaics and wall-paintings,” review of Helen Whitehouse, The Paper Museum of Cassiano dal Pozzo. A Catalogue Raisonne. Series A. Antiquities and architecture. Part One. Ancient mosaics and wallpaintings, in Journal of Roman Archaeology16 (2003): 527-536
“From Darkness to Light: Annibale Carracci, G.P. Bellori, and Ancient Painting,” in Art History in the Age of Bellori: Scholarship and Cultural Politics in Seventeenth-Century Rome, J. Bell and T. Willette, eds., Cambridge University Press, 2002: 170-188.
“Giovan Pietro Bellori and the Loss and Restoration of (Ancient) Painting in Rome,” in Memory and Oblivion: Proceedings of the XXIXth International Congress of the History of Art, Dordrecht, 1999: 317-323
“Grasping at Shadows: Ancient Paintings in Renaissance and Baroque Rome,” The Art Bulletin 74 (1992): 219-246
Hadrian’s Villa and the ‘Dome of Heaven’,” Mitteilungen des Deutschen Archaologischen Instituts, Romaische Abeteilung97 (1990): 347-381.
“Nicolas Ponce’s Arabesques antiques: A Problem in Eighteenth-Century Archaeology,” Gazette des Beaux-Arts 114 (1989):183-201
“The Ancient Frescoes in the Villa Negroni and their Influence in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries,” The Art Bulletin65 (1983): 423-440
The Decoration of Walls, Ceilings, and Floors in Italy in the Second and Third Centuries A.D., Archaeologica 17, Rome, 1981.
“A Mosaic from Gerasa in Orange, Texas and Berlin,” Mitteilungen des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts, Römische Abteilung 87 (1980): 307-326.
“Form, Function, and Technique in the Pavements of Delos and Pompeii,” American Journal of Archaeology 83 (1979): 253-263.
- “Landscape into Art” (TAS Seminar, April 2016)
- “The Art of Protest” (TAS Seminar, February 2014)
- “1000 Years of Art in Venice” (TAS Seminar, February 2013)
- “Gendering violation, response and revenge in the myth of Philomela,” paper, College
Art Association Annual Conference (New York, NY, forthcoming, February 2013)
- “The Strozzi of Florence: The Fall and Rise of a Renaissance Family” (TAS seminar,
- “Michelangelo’s Family Circle,” Sixteenth Century Society & Conference, Montreal,
Canada, October 14-17, 2010
- “Art and Love in Renaissance Italy” (TAS Seminar, November 2010)
- “Renaissance Families, Holy and Otherwise,” The College of New Jersey, October 2009.
- “From Darkness to Light: Annibale Carracci, G. P. Bellori, and Ancient Painting,”
Conference on Art History in the Age of Bellori, American Academy in Rome, November 1996.
- “Giovan Pietro Bellori and the Loss and Restoration of (Ancient) Painting in Rome,”
Memory & Oblivion: XXIXth International Congress of the History of Art,
Amsterdam, September 1996.
- “Ancient Decoration and Ideal Architecture in the Renaissance,” Conference on
Antiquity and Antiquity Transumed, University of Toronto, March 1994.
- “Cosmic Vault and Kaisersaal: Architectural Symbolism in the Roman World, First-
Second Centuries,” College Art Association, Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.,
February 1991 (Session Chair).
- “Hadrian’s Villa and the ‘Dome of Heaven’,” IV Colloquium, Association Internationale
pour l’Étude de la Mosaïque Antique, Université Laval, Quebec City, Canada, November 1986.
- “Aesthetes and Archaeologists: The Ancient Roman House through Modern Eyes,”
New York University, March 1986.
- “Restitutor Orbis Terrarum: Imagery and Symbolism in Decorative Reliefs from
Hadrian’s Villa,” College Art Assoc., Annual Meeting, New York, February 1982.
- “A Place in the Country: Life in a Roman Villa,” The American Museum of Natural
History, New York, June 1979.
- Lecturer on Pompeii throughout the United States (Keedick Lecture Bureau), 1979-1985.
Academic Honors and Awards
- Travel Grant, The College of New Jersey, October 2010
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Summer Seminar for College and
University Teachers, “Archaeology and Ideology in Modern Rome,”
American Academy in Rome, June-July 2004
- Choice Outstanding Academic Title 2003: Art History in the Age of Bellori, J. Bell and
T. Willette, eds. (contributor)
- Travel Grant, The Samuel H. Kress Foundation, Fall 1996
- Faculty Research Development Grant, State University of New York at Stony Brook,
- Andrew W. Mellon Post-Doctoral Fellow in the History of Art, Institute of Fine Arts,
- New York University, 1989-1
- Grant-in-Aid for Recent Recipients of the Ph.D., American Council of Learned Societies,
- University Fellowship, Harvard University, 1973-1974
- University Fellowship, University of California at Berkeley, 1969
- Woodrow Wilson Fellow, University of California at Berkeley, 1969
- Phi Beta Kappa, Reed College, 1967