AAE 200 Sophomore Review for Art Education
The Art Education Sophomore Review is a qualifying assessment to help monitor student learning and progress. The review ensures students meet the teacher education requirements of the state of New Jersey and TCNJ’s Department of Art and Art History. The review will determine students’ strength and abilities and areas of needed improvement as assessed by faculty in the Art Education program. The Sophomore Review is required for all art education students enrolled in AAE 250 (i.e., Spring of the Sophomore year). Please plan to submit the required information below on Canvas by mid-March.
The Review consists of the following components:
1. Portfolio (submit on Canvas as one pdf file, 5 MB max)
- Personal Background Information
- Name, TCNJ Email Address, PAWS ID Number, Phone Number, Major, Minor, and GPA.
- 250-300 word typed essay
- Explores the candidate’s beliefs about art education (i.e., the importance of teaching the visual arts and/or the role art plays in K-12 schools)
- Eight Artworks
- Eight works of art (with title, date, material, dimension, course name, college (where you took the course), 1-2 sentence description/meaning/conceptual focus) from eight different Visual Arts courses demonstrating your artistic, conceptual, and technical skills, creativity, and aesthetic ability. Include 2 images per page. Note: If you have not taken the recommended eight Visual Art courses, please include artwork from other AAV courses (or personal work, if needed).
2. GPA Requirement
- Must have a 2.75 GPA or higher. Please submit an unofficial transcript from PAWS on Canvas.
3. Passing Test Score Report: Academic Knowledge
- Show proof of one of the following (submit test scores on Canvas):
- SAT score of 560+ on Verbal and 540+ on Math (if taken prior to 2016)
- ACT score of 23 or higher (on English and Math)
- GRE – score of 4 on analytical writing and a combination score of 310 or higher
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (combined test code: 5751)
- Reading (Test # 5712) with a passing score of 156
- Writing (Test # 5722) with a passing score of 162
- Mathematics (Test # 5732) with a passing score of 150
4. 30 hours of clinical experience (arranged and performed by the student)
- Submit completed verification form on Canvas
Download the guidelines here: